• At least 22 killed, 59 wounded
  • Children among the dead
  • Police believe one man carried out attack
  • ‘Suicide attacker’ died detonating device
  • More than 400 officers deployed overnight in northern city

UK police say they have arrested a 23-year old man in connection with a suicide bomb attack in Manchester which killed 23 people, including the attacker, and wounded dozens at a concert by US pop singer Ariana Grande.

“With regards to last night’s incident at the Manchester Arena, we can confirm we have arrested a 23-year-old man in South Manchester,” Greater Manchester Police said on Twitter on Tuesday.

READ MORE: ‘Panic’ and ‘chaos’ after deadly Manchester blast

An improvised explosive device went off late on Monday as thousands of – mostly young – fans streamed out of Manchester Arena in the northern English city at the end of Grande’s performance, police said.

The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS) armed group  through its social media channels, claimed responsibility for the attack, saying “one of the caliphate’s soldiers placed bombs among the crowds”.

manchester arena attack map location infographic

The deadly explosion, which caused scenes of chaos and panic, sending screaming families and children fleeing, also wounded at least 59 concert-goers, many of whom are in critical condition.

Al Jazeera’s Nadim Baba, reporting from Manchester, said that at least 12 of the 59 victims brought to hospitals were children.

At least one of the fatalities was an eight-year-old child, our correspondent also reported, describing the “severe security threat” the country faces.

The news of the arrest came minutes after British Prime Minister Theresa May said police knew the identity of the suspected suicide bomber – but could not yet announce the attacker’s name.

Speaking after an emergency meeting of the country’s top security committee, May condemned what she called a “callous terrorist attack”, calling it “among the worst terrorism we have experienced in the United Kingdom”.

She also repeated an earlier police statement which said that the attacker had carried out the attack alone. Yet, it was not yet clear if others had helped in the preparation.