Our attention has been drawn to an ongoing act of intolerance, hate, resentment, and discrimination towards the Muslims of Ilora, Oyo State.
– Recall that last week, the Kwara State Government approved the use of Hijab in Kwara Schools following the refusal of some government-aided schools to allow Muslim female students to use the Hijab.
– Responding to the order from the State Government, the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Kwara State chapter, rejected and condemned it saying Hijab would expose the Christian children to terrorist attacks. On this, we wait for CAN to take an illegal action before we respond.
– With the recent appointment of teachers by Oyo state TESCOM, a female teacher named, Akinola Maryam Ibiduni, was posted to Ilora Baptist Grammar school II in Ilora town of Afijio local government area, Oyo state on 2nd of February, 2021 as an English teacher.
– On 9th of February, 2021, she was informed by the school principal (Mrs Aremu) to go to the TESCOM zonal office with her posting letter. On getting there, she was informed that she can no longer stay in the school she was initially posted because of her “attire” (use of hijab) as said by the TESCOM zonal chairman.
– He further explained that the school believes she(Akinola Maryam Ibiduni) would influence the students. The teacher, Maryam, tried to convince them that she was only posted to teach English language but she was told that she cannot just stay in the school. As a result, she was reposted to another school in the town(Ilora Community commercial high school).
– A week after the incidence, another female Muslim Corper using the hijab was also outrightly rejected in the school. This has always been the case anytime a female Muslim student using hijab seeks to do teaching practice in the school.
– Also, female Muslim students of the school are not allowed to use hijab on the uniform even outside the school.
– This is a wake-up for the Muslims in Oyo State and the entire South-West to rise and kick against this discrimination.
– While we continue to monitor events in the school, we will seek legal means to protect the fundamental human rights of the Muslims. Therefore, we forbid any act of violence.
Bashir Lucas Samson Lukman
The KnowIslam Project