It had been the practice of the Holy Prophet that he did not sleep in the night preceding the day of ‘Eid ul –fitr. This night has been named in a Hadith as, ‘THE NIGHT OF REWARD’. It means that Allah Almighty bestows his rewards to those who have spent the month of Ramadhan abiding by the dictates of Shari ‘ah, and all their prayers in this night are accepted. Therefore, it is desirable to perform nafl prayers in this night. The Holy Prophet is reported to have said:
“Whoever stands up (in worship) in the nights preceding the two Eids expecting rewards from his lord, his heart will not die when the other hearts will die.
To benefit from this opportunity, one should perform as much worship in this night as he can, and should pray for all his needs and desires.
Before going to ‘Eid Prayer:
The following acts are prescribed as Sunnah at the beginning of the day of Eid-ul-Fitr before proceeding to the ‘Eid prayer:
1. To wake up early in the morning.
2. To clean one’s teeth with a Miswaak or a brush.
3. To have a bath.
4. To put on one’s best available clothes.
5. To wear perfume.
6. To eat a sweet food, preferably dates, before the ‘Eid prayer.
7. To recite the following Takbir in the low voice while going to the ‘Eid prayer:
“Allaahu akbar, Allaahu akbar,Allaahu akbar laa ilaaha ill-Allaah, Wa Allaahu akbar, Allaahu akbar, wa Lillaahi’l-hamd”
The ‘Eid prayer
The second obligation on ‘Eid day is to perform the ‘Eid prayer. Some rules in this respect are mentioned hereunder:
1. The ‘Eid prayer is waajib (obligatory) on every male Muslim.
2. The ‘Eid prayer can be performed any time between the ishraq and zawal.
3. It is preferable that the ‘Eid prayer is performed at an open field and not in a mosque. However, if, it is difficult to perform it in an open field, it can also be performed in a big mosque.
4. It is not advisable to hold the ‘Eid prayer in every mosque, rather it is preferable that the people of several mosques either perform it in an open field or, in its absence, in a big mosque which can accommodate a large number of people.
5. No Nafl Salaah can be performed before the ‘Eid prayer, neither in ones home, nor at the place of ‘Eid prayer. Similarly, Nafl prayer cannot be performed after the ‘Eid prayer at the same place. However, it can be performed after one comes back to his home.
6. The ‘Eid prayer has neither Azaan nor iqamah.
7. The ‘Eid prayer has two rakaah to perform in the normal way with the only addition of six Takbirs, three of them in the beginning of the first rakaah, and three of them just before ruku in the second rakaah.
The address of ‘Eid-ul-fitr
In this Salaah, Khutbah is a Sunnah and is delivered after the Salaah, unlike the
Salaah of Jumuah where it is farz and is delivered before the Salaah . However, listening to the Khutbah of ‘Eid Salaah is waajib or necessary and must be heard in perfect peace and silence.
It is a Sunnah that the Imam begins the first Khutbah by reciting Takbirs ‘ Allahu Akbar‘ nine times and the second Khutbah with reciting it seven times.
Taqabal Allahu minna wa minkum عيد مبارك تقبل الله منا ومنكم