To wear a Ring, Twine, or anything similar to them for prevention or lifting of Harm or Affliction, is an act of Shirk
Allah the Almighty said: “Say: Tell me then, the things that you invoke besides Allah, -if Allah intended some harm for me, could they remove His harm, or if He (Allah) intended some mercy for me, could they
withhold His Mercy? Say: Sufficient for me is Allah; in Him those who trust (i.e. believers) must put their trust.” (39:38)
Imran bin Husain (May Allah be pleased with him) narrated: The Prophet (May the peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) once saw a man with a brass ring on his hand and asked him, “What is this?” The man replied, “To overcome the weakness of old age.” He said, “Remove it, for, it can only add to your weakness. Should death overtake you while you are wearing it, you would never succeed.” [This Hadith was recorded by Ahmad (bin Hanbal) (May Allah be pleased with him) with a good chain of narrators.]
He also recorded a Marfu’ Hadith; Uqbah bin Aamir (May Allah be pleased with him)
narrated that Prophet Muhammad (May the peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) said: “Whoever wears talisman or an amulet would never see his wish fulfilled by Allah. And w hoever hangs a sea shell would never get peace and rest.”
In an another version the Prophet (May the peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) is reported to have said: “Whoever wears a talisman has committed Shirk (polytheism).”
Ibn Abi Hatim reported about Hudhaifah (May Allah be pleased with him): He saw a man with a piece of twine on his hand (as a protection or cure from fever) so he cut
the twine and read the verse: “Most of them believe in Allah and still practise Shirk (polytheism).” (12: 106)
Important issues of the Chapter
1) The strict forbiddance of wearing rings, twines and the like.
2) If the Companion had died wearing such a thing, he would not have succeeded (in the Hereafter). This is a confirmation to the statement of the Companions that minor Shirk is
greater (worse) than major sins.
3) Ignorance was no excuse.
4) Wearing any such article will not benefit this life. Indeed, it is harmful as was stated by the Prophet (May the peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) “It will do nothing except increase weakness.”
5) The intense disapproval and censure of whoever does such a deed.
6) The declaration that whoever attaches something to himself will have that thing put in charge of him.
7) The declaration that whoever wears an amulet has committed Shirk.
8) Hoping to get cured from fever by using a talisman is Shirk.
9) Hudhaifah’s reciting the verse of Qur’an is a clear-cut proof that Companions used to recite the verses dealing with the major Shirk to condemn minor Shirk. As Ibn Abbas (May Allah be pleased with him) did by reciting the verse from Surah Al-Baqarah. (2: 165).
10) Seeking relief against evil eye by using amulets is Shirk.
11) The curse upon those who use amulets that their wishes should not be granted by Allah and those who use shells will not get rest nor peace. That is, Allah has left them.