THE WISDOM BEHIND THE SACRIFICE
By: Balogun Abdulbasit (ibn Umar)
A Muslim who is conscious of his religion should know that everything that Allah has legislated is for a good cause. Nothing in this religion was sent down to cause hardship for us, Allah says:
“He has chosen you (to convey His Message of Islamic Monotheism to mankind by inviting them to His religion, Islam), and has not laid upon you in religion any hardship” (Surah Hajj:78). It is also incumbent upon a Muslim to be able to produce reasons behind the legislation of the slaughtering we do anually. As such these reasons were formulated:
1. To seek proximity with Allah through the slaughtering of domestic livestock. Allah say: فَصَلِّ لِرَبِّكَ وَانْحَرْ
Therefore turn in prayer to your Lord and sacrifice (to Him only).
-Sura Al-Kawthar, Ayah 2
2. In order to give sadaqah to the poor and the needy.
3. To foster love and affection among friends and close relatives with the portion of meats given as gifts to them.
4. To eat from the meat, an act of generosity to one’s self and the family for the Prophet had said: أَيَامُ التَّشْرِيقِ أَيَامُ أَكْلِ وَ الشُرْبِ و ذِكْرِ الله (صححه الألباني في السلسلة الصحيحة )١٢٨٢ “The days of Tashrīq are days for eating, drinking and remembrance of Allah” (al-Albāni 1282)
5. Manifesting the signs of Islam from the (eid)prayer, sacrifice and other actions that makes us raise the word of Allah.
6. Remembering the situation that our past predecessors on the orthodox path; Ibrahim (AS), Isma’īl (AS) and those who followed their footsteps and to reckon with them for striving with their self and wealth in the obedience to Allah and their strong faith.
7. Imitation of the pilgrims and the desire to be in the same position. For that, Takbīr was made permissibile. The meaning could be found in the the following verse: وَاذْكُرُوا اللَّهَ فِي أَيَّامٍ مَعْدُودَات
And remember Allah during the appointed Days. (Surah al-Baqarah:203) also leaving the head unshaved was legislated along with leaving the nails for whoever intends to slaughter (These actions are within the first 10 days of dhul Hijjah alone)
Abu Sa’īd Bal’īd ibn Ahmad _Ahkām al-Udhiyah fī al-kitāb wa as-Sunnah_ (UAE: Dar al-furqān, 2002), 10-11
2,807 total views, 0 views today