THE BOOKS OF THE BIBLE
These are nothing but names which ye have devised – ye and your Fathers – for which God has sent down
no authority whatsoever. (Qur`an 53:23)
The books of the Bible are divided by the Christians into two main parts:
The Old Testament and the New Testament.
The books of the Old Testament are claimed to have been received
through the Prophets who were prior to the Prophet Jesus, the Messiah. The
books of the New Testament are believed to have been written through inspiration after Jesus. All the books of the Old and the New Testament together are called Bible. Bible is a Greek word which means `book`. Both the Testaments are further subdivided into two parts. The first part of the Old Testament is believed to be authentic by almost all the ancient Christians, while the authenticity of the
other parts is held to be doubtful and controversial.
THE FIRST DIVISION OF THE OLD TESTAMENT
This collection comprises of 38 books:
1. GENESIS: The Book of Genesis describes the creation of the earth skies and gives an
historical account of the Prophets Adam Noah, Abraham, Isaac and Joseph. The
book ends with the death of the Prophet Joseph. This is also called the book of Creation
2. EXODUS: Exodus is mainly a description of the life of the prophet Moses. It includes
the teachings of Moses, his altercations with Pharaoh, Pharaoh`s drowning in
the sea and the oral communication of God with Moses. It ends with the Israelites camping in the desert of Sinai. It is called Exodus because it describes the event of the Israelites` exodus from Egypt.
3. LEVITICUS: Leviticus is a collection of the injunctions and laws given to the Israelites
during their wanderings in the desert of Sinai. It has 27 chapters.
4. NUMBERS: The Book of Number includes events of the census of the Israelites, their
history before their departure to the Canaan and the injunctions of the Prophet Moses revealed to him by the bank of the river Jordan. It contains 36 chapters.
5. DEUTERONOMY: The book of Deuteronomy is a collection of those events and injunctions
which took place from after the period of the Book of Numbers to the death of Moses. It contains 34 chapters.
The collection of these five books together is called the Pentateuch or Torah. This is a Hebrew word meaning”the law” .The word is also occasionally used to
mean the Old Testament in general.
6. THE BOOK OF JOSHUA: The book of Joshua is ascribed to the Prophet Joshua son of Nuh who was
the reliable servant and minister of Moses. He was made the Prophet of Israelites after the death of Moses. He made war on the Amalekites and was victorious over them. This book describes his life up to the time of his death .It
contains 24 chapters.
7. THE BOOK OF JUDGES: The Book of Judges covers the period after the death of Joshua. This period
is called the period of the Judges, because, due to their transgression and
wickedness God set cruel, foreign kings over them to punish them until they returned to God and repented their sins. Then some leaders were raised up among them and came to their rescue. These Israelite leaders were known as the
Judges. It has 21 chapters.
8. THE BOOK OF RUTH: The Book of Ruth describes events in the life of a woman of Moab called Ruth. She was the mother of Obed the grandfather of the Prophet David. She
migrated to Bethlehem and married Boaz. They bore a child Obed. His son was Jesse who was the father of the Prophet David. It has only 4 chapters.
9. THE FIRST BOOK OF SAMUEL: The First book of Samuel concerns the Prophet Samuel who was the last of the Judges of Israelites. Samuel was made king of the Israelites in his period. It also includes the killing of Goliath by David and other incidents up until the death of Samuel. It has 31 chapters.
10: THE SECOND BOOK OF SAMUEL: The Second Book of Samuel describes the events after the death of Saul. It includes the kingship of David and his war against the sons of Saul. It has 24
11. THE FIRST BOOK OF KINGS: The first Book of kings begins with the old age of David and includes the events of his death, the reign of the prophet Solomon, his death and the lives of
his sons up until the death of Ahab. The Prophet Elijah`s descriptions is also
included. It has 22 chapters.
12. THE SECOND BOOK OF KINGS: The second Book of Kings includes the events from the death of Ahab to the
reign of Zedikiah. The Prophets Elijah and Josiah are also mentioned. It has 25
13. CHRONICLES I: Chronicles 1 comprises genealogies from Adam to Solomon. It also includes short historical accounts leading up until the time of David and gives details of
David`s reign over the Israelites. It contains 36 chapters.
14. CHRONICLES II: Chronicles 11 describes Solomon`s rule in detail and also gives a short account of various Kings after Solomon up until the reign of Zedikiah. The invasion of Nebuchadnezzar is also covered at the end.
15. THE FIRST BOOK OF EZRA: Ezra I describes the reconstruction of Jerusalem by Cyrus the King of Persia
after the invasion of Nebuchadnezzar. It also mentions the exile of Ezra and return of the Israelites from Babylon to their homeland. It contains 10 chapters.
16. THE SECOND BOOK OF EZRA: Ezra II is also called the Book of Nehemiah. Nehemiah was a cupbearer of Artaxerxes the King of Persia. When he learnt about the destruction of Jerusalem by Nebuchadnezzar, he sought the King`s permission and came to Jerusalem. He reconstructed it with the help of Ezra. This Book describes all these events and the names of those who helped in rebuilding Jerusalem. These events took place in 445 BC. It contains 13 chapters.
17. THE BOOK OF JOB: The Book of job is said to be by the Prophet Job whose patience and
forbearance are also acknowledged and praised by the Holy Qur`an. He was
born in Uz, a city to the east of the Dead Sea. The Book mainly consists of conversations between Job and his three friends Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shubite, Zopher the Na`amathite who insist that the calamities of Job are the result of his sins while Job refutes this. This book is held to be of great literary merit. It contains 42 chapters.
18. THE BOOK OF PSALMS: The Book of Psalms is the corrupt form of the book of which the Holy Qur`an says, “We have given the Zaboor to Dawood.” The book is a collection of 150 Psalms, or songs of praise, to God.
19. THE BOOK OF PROVERBS: The Book of proverbs is a collection of the exhortations and proverbs of the prophet Solomon. The Christians claim that this book was compiled by Solomon himself. Kings I says: “And he spoke three thousands proverbs”. (4:23). It contains 31 chapters.
20. THE BOOK OF ECCLESIASTES: The book of Ecclesiastes is also called the “Book of the Preacher”. It said the
name of one of the sons of David was “the preacher”. It begins with these words: “The words of the preacher, the son of David.” (1:1). The book is a collection of exhortations and advices.
21: THE BOOK OF THE SONG OF SOLOMON: The Book of the Song of Solomon is said to be a collection of songs which were composed by Solomon of which the book of Kings says: “He spoke three
thousand Proverbs and his songs were a thousand and five.” It has eight chapters.
22. THE BOOK OF ISAIAH: The Book of Isaiah is ascribed to the Prophet Isaiah, son of Amoz, who was adviser to Hezekia, the king of Judah, in the 8th century BC. When Sennacherib, the king of Assyria, invaded Jerusalem, Isaiah was of great help to Hezekiah, the king of Judah. This book is a collection of his visions and predictions of future events. These predictions according to the Christinas were made by Isaiah in the reigns of the kings Azariah, Jotham and Hezekiah. It has 66 chapters. This book contains many passages of great literary merit.
1,525 total views, 0 views today